Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Christmas Before Thanksgiving


As a child I remember no Christmas
before Thanksgiving. Now it seems to come earlier and earlier.

If you are into giving the hand made gifts of love it starts early in the year and closer to the holiday you will find the magazines offering quick projects to give.




I have been working on Christmas stocking for awhile. Most of mine are custom designed as to whom is receiving them and I have two sizes going.


I have a Mrs. Snowman (or as some say snow -women) with a hooded cape of fake fur (eyelash yarn) and muff. Also one is of the Fair Isle design in large or small.

I am always on the lookout for things that will create an interesting stocking and sometimes my color choice is different for Christmas. Last year one stocking that caused a big stir was my white and purple stocking for a very special niece, who likes angles and purple.


Then there are gifts to make like socks, hats scarves, mittens that can be an easy but special gift.




I have one sock almost finished. The self-striping sock yarn can make an interesting pattern as found in the rib, the pattern , and the foot. Stockings can be a good project to help you learn about socking making. A simple one in red and white stripes might be a good one to begin with. Yarn can be anything and any size needle will work as it does not have to fit and you only have to make one. Christmas Stockings also make a good gift that last for years, my Mom has a pair I made 30 years ago.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Have emailed you last year's stocking pic and the purple stocking is even there!

Outrider said...

WOW, i know Christmas is coming, but ... but .... but.... (sigh)... however, don't you just love the knit stockings and all !!!